5/18/12

Parenting Perspective


It’s the most difficult and most rewarding thing I have ever done or ever will. I wouldn’t trade being a mother for anything. I adore it. I love it. I live for it. Even when I'm past due for a shower, pulled all my hair out and haven't slept in over a week. 
The challenge for the month: “...please share something you never thought you do as a parent.” 
I was never the play house type. I was always building forts with my brothers and enjoying the great outdoors. So I never really spent endless hours role playing, planning, organizing or setting expectations for myself. In the absence of playing mother-knows-best I have discovered over the years that what I had done was develop a love for life. A love that translates into my parenting. An enjoy the moments, my surroundings, and take-life-in-stride kind of approach to life. To be able to share and enjoy this love together has brought such peace and divine gratitude that has brought us closer. It’s reminded me to slow down and helped me to keep my priorities.
For the record, just because I didn’t routinely play with dolls growing up I did think about my future. I knew being a wife and mother was the most important thing I wanted to do. I did think about my future husband, temple marriage and children.  (Bet you didn’t know that I always thought Calvin as in Calvin & Hobbes would be the greatest kid to have. I loved his imagination and spirit.) Yes it was all at the forefront of my mind even while climbing trees and scraping my knees. 

In fact it was so important that I knew I’d accept any trials that came with parenting and never put much more thought into what I thought I’d never do. I think it’s safe to say though, I never thought one of my sons would be diagnosed with a life threatening disease and that I’d give my son daily injections. (Or at least I hoped not.)
However, I did know I would do what ever my children needed. I’ve heard plenty of parents say “I could never do that!”. Really... because... well you do realize what the alternative is right?
I suppose I have plenty of “I never thoughts”, but that is probably the biggest and most heart breaking as a parent, right now. Fingers crossed as I still have years of parenting ahead of me. So here’s to enjoying the moments, my surroundings and taking life in stride.


Suzanne

No comments:

Post a Comment